ST. LOUIS (AP) — A historic St. Louis ballroom is slated for demolition after sustaining heavy storm damage.
The Castle Ballroom on Olive Street opened in 1908 and was previous known as Cave Hall. Jazz musicians Miles Davis, Duke Ellington and Count Basie were among those who played the ballroom before it closed in 1953.
The St. Louis Post-Dispatch (bit.ly/1hqvRp5 ) reports that the building's owner has asked the city for a demolition permit, citing the partial collapse of the roof during a storm in November.
Part of the building's west side also collapsed, and the interior has been exposed to the weather all winter.
The building was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 2011.
Information from: St. Louis Post-Dispatch, http://www.stltoday.com