JEFFERSON CTIY, Mo. - MoDOT will begin work Wednesday night on Route 179 between West Truman Blvd./Industrial Blvd. and Merchants Drive in Jefferson City.
The work will help reduce rear-end and left-turn crashes that frequent the area.
When completed, one of the southbound lanes on Rte. 179 will become a two-way center turn lane. The new center turn lane will allow for safer
and easier access to Gerbes, Jefferson Bank, Sonic Drive-In, Plaza Drive, and Merchants Drive, according to MoDOT.
Northbound Route 179 will remain two lanes from Merchants Drive to West Truman Blvd./Industrial Drive, and the traffic flow will remain the same.
The work will also change the southbound approach to the signalized intersection at W. Truman and Industrial.
The 2 through lanes will be converted to one through lane and one dedicated right-turn lane. The dedicated left-turn lane will be modified to create two way center-turn lane for access to W. Main Street from either direction on 179.
The work is scheduled to begin at 6:30 p.m. Wednesday and last two nights, with single-lane closures through the evening hours.
Message boards are in place to announce the traffic pattern changes.
- Columbia Police Department raises money for mid-Missouri children's home
- Columbia city council approves public inconvenience fee
- Columbia City Council approves "public inconvenience fee"
- Updated Governor-elect Eric Greitens' wife robbed at gunpoint
- Jefferson City council to vote on voluntary annexation
- Woman dies in crash near Midway
- Search for MU chancellor will take "several months," UM System Spokesman reveals cost