COLUMBIA, Mo. - Two days after a fire destroyed parts of an apartment complex, 20 families learn their homes are beyond repair.
Those families are now forced to find housing elsewhere.
Ash Street Place apartments is nearly full and doesn't have enough room for all the displaced residents.
Some units will be repaired and those residents will be able to move back in.
But 48 out of the 66 units have fire and water damage and are beyond repair.
Caseworkers at the American Red Cross location worked tirelessly today to make sure the last of these victims get what they need to move forward.
One victim and her boyfriend are now homeless until they can find another complex with an opening.
"They gave us back our security deposit and advised that it's best we start looking elsewhere for somewhere to stay," displaced resident Kenysha Kopcsos told ABC 17 News.
However, the victims are not alone in their search.
"We are in communication with different community agencies and other housing authorities, looking for places to help these people find a place to sleep," American Red Cross worker Clayton Kennedy told ABC 17 News.
These workers said their goal is to not only provide food and shelter for these victims, but also hope.
Most families have found friends or other family members to stay with.
But some are still unsure about what to do next.
"When you ask them, '...What are your plans for recovery?' They kind of look at you and, 'I'm not real sure yet.' You know, guessing," Red Cross volunteer Jolene Davis told ABC 17 News.
The Red Cross said they will continue to assist these families in any way they can during this time of need.
- Crews to reduce speed limit on major Columbia roadway Wednesday
- Columbia VFW shooting suspect sentenced to prison
- Winter weather: What you should have in your car
- Delta Upsilon suspends its Missouri chapter until 2018
- Winter weather car preparations: What you should have in your car
- Speed limit reduction coming to major Columbia roadway following MoDOT study
- Updated Confirmed structure fire on Perkins Road