Fire marshal determines cause of Lake of the Ozarks condo fire
Saturday night, crews responded to a fire at condo near Lake of the Ozarks
The fire marshal has determined the cause of a large weekend condo fire near Osage Beach.
Saturday night, fire crews from Osage Beach, Camdenton, Lake Ozark and Mid-County responded to Lakewood Condos for the fire.
The four-floor building broke into flames around 7 p.m. Saturday night. All the units in the building were destroyed.
Buildings on either side have some smoke and water damage.
On Tuesday, the fire marshal determined that a new propane gas log was set too close to combustible material. When the occupants in unit 401 lit the fireplace, it caused the material to catch on fire.
When crews arrived on the scene, firefighters found flames were shooting through the roof.
"It was intense, we knew it would take some work to put it out and keep the building standing," Osage Beach Fire Chief Jeff Dorhauer said.
The condo's property manager and insurance inspector could not give any details about the accident.
On Monday, fire officials told ABC 17 News that they believe it was a fireplace or flue area in one of the units where the fire started.
The building is nearly 40-years-old, so this begged the question, is the building up to code?
"As codes change, buildings that were built to prior to the code change are grandfathered in unless they make some type of change to their structure," Dorhauer said.
Copyright © 2013 KMIZ - The Networks of Mid-Missouri. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.