COLUMBIA, Mo. - Boone County Clerk Wendy Noren will take a leave of absence to undergo treatment for cancer.
In an email to elected county officials, Noren announced she would take 6-8 weeks of personal leave to undergo both chemotherapy and radiation.
Presiding Commissioner Dan Atwill told ABC 17 News that doctors believe it is a curable form of cancer.
Noren is hoping to return to her post by late this year or in early 2014.
She was first elected as County Clerk in 1982 and has won every reelection bid since then. Noren is the second-longest running elected official in Boone County.
- Updated Columbia parking task force draws up possible changes
- Fire district advises residents of ways to avoid a home fire this winter
- Columbia woman arrested for forging prescriptions
- Mizzou recommends third MMR vaccine for students amid mumps outbreak
- Columbia man to federal prison for sex trafficking
- Jefferson City police awarded DWI vehicle to step up enforcement
- Fatal vehicle crash in Miller County