BOONE COUNTY, Mo. - Update: Fire crews said the home is a total loss.
Martina Pounds, a Captain with the Boone County Fire Department, said the fire was started by a heat lamp on the back porch. She said the homeowners' smoke detectors woke them up and they were able to safely get out.
No people were injured, but two family pets died, Pounds said.
Pounds said getting water to the house to fight the fire was difficult because the closest water hydrant was almost a mile down the road. She said extra tank trucks were called to help.
Pounds said the tankers would fill up at the hydrant and drive down Mount Hope Road where firefighters set up a tanking station. Firefighters would dump the water into a portable tank, and then the water would be pumped to a tank truck located at the house fire, which was about another quarter-mile from the tanking station.
Firefighters remained at the scene for at least five hours.
Original: Around 6:15 a.m., Boone County fire crews responded to the 6800 block of Mount Hope Road in the county.
Multiple fire crews are at the scene and working to put the fire out at the home.
ABC 17 crews said they can visibly see smoke and flames in the area.
This is a developing story, stay with ABC 17 News.