COLUMBIA, Mo. -

A Boone County home was heavily damaged in a Thursday morning fire.

Around 10:30 a.m., fire crews were called to the home on Roemer Road. When crews arrived on the scene, they found heavy smoke and flames coming from the home.

Firefighters say the roof of the two-story home collapsed immediately after they arrived.

A total of 16 Boone County Fire Protection District units responded to the scene, along with medics from University Hospital.

A homeowner was in the residence at the time of the fire, but no one was injured.

"The door was locked. I was banging on it and ran back here to my neighbors who are walking up and I said, 'Call the fire department quick,' ran back there to try to kick the door in and it was unlocked," said neighbor Brent Barnhill. "The gentleman was coming out of the house, he was trying to get out."

Investigators ruled the fire as accidental. According to Battalion Chief Gale Blomenkamp, a heat lamp inside a doghouse started the fire. Flames traveled from the doghouse to the home and attic.

Fire crews say damage is estimated at $250,000.