COLUMBIA, Mo. - New numbers show buying a used car poses a risk you might not have considered.
One report ranks Missouri as third in the nation for online car sales last year.
It's estimated 200,000 of those cars had unfixed recalls when they were sold.
And looking under the hood isn't enough to find out if a car part has been recalled, so many buyers were unaware there were potential problems until it was too late.
Experts said it is free to go online and check if the car has had any recalls. And they said checking this is a necessary move to ensure the car is safe.
Car manufacturers should provide that information on their website, or you can use Carfax's free recall check.
- Updated No one hurt in south Columbia apartment complex fire overnight
- Two dozen firefighters battle Boone County barn blaze
- Winter heat related fires
- Columbia Police Department hosts Coffee with a Cop
- Boil advisory issued for part of Osage County
- Mizzou recommends third MMR vaccine for students amid mumps outbreak
- Columbia parking task force draws up possible changes