COLUMBIA, Mo. - Carbon monoxide poisoning is the common form of poisoning death in the country, according to the Center for Disease Control.
Sources of carbon monoxide include most devices that burn fuel. Most common examples include cars, gas stoves and furnaces, but even an unventilated fire place can be dangerous if left unattended.
According to the CDC, over 400 people die annually from carbon monoxide poisoning, and over 1,500 go to the hospital for carbon monoxide exposure.
The CDC counted the number of unintentional deaths from carbon monoxide around the country from 2011-2015. Missouri had the 10th most deaths in the nation with 36. Pennsylvania had the most with 76.
Assistant Fire Chief Brad Frazier with the Columbia Fire Department say CO poisoning is not easy to notice.
"Symptoms are fatigue, nausea, confusion. Flu-like symptoms," Frazier said. "So it may be confusing as to what's going on."
Carbon Monoxide is a colorless, odorless gas, so it's likely the average person would not notice if there was a gas leak in their home. Frazier recommends getting a CO detection alarm for every floor of your home to ensure you safety.