Cigarette causes deck fire in Columbia
A fire damaged a Columbia apartment Sunday evening.
The Columbia Fire Department said firefighters responded to a fire in the 900 block of Rogers Street around 6:40 p.m. When crews arrived, most of the fire on a second-story deck had already been extinguished.
Firefighters were able to quickly extinguish the fire and hotspots.
The fire marshal said a cigarette left in a flower pot full of dry materials caused the fire.
Damage to the deck is estimated at $3,000 and no one was injured in the fire.
Copyright © 2013 KMIZ - The Networks of Mid-Missouri. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.