Cigarette causes deck fire in Columbia

COLUMBIA, Mo. - A fire damaged a Columbia apartment Sunday evening.

The Columbia Fire Department said firefighters responded to a fire in the 900 block of Rogers Street around 6:40 p.m. When crews arrived, most of the fire on a second-story deck had already been extinguished.

Firefighters were able to quickly extinguish the fire and hotspots.

The fire marshal said a cigarette left in a flower pot full of dry materials caused the fire.

Damage to the deck is estimated at $3,000 and no one was injured in the fire.

comments powered by Disqus

ABC 17 News Stormtrack

  • Tuesday May 23 Morning Weather Video

Top Videos