COLUMBIA, Mo. - Firefighters in Columbia responded to two fires late Thursday night.
Crews were called to the first fire just after 10 p.m. on Sierra Madre in south Columbia.
First responders reported seeing smoke and flames upon arrival.
ABC 17 News crews on the scene confirmed that firefighters extinguished a fire in the laundry room within five minutes.
Eight people including six children were in the home, and all evacuated safely.
Firefighters say the residence is uninhabitable until repairs are made. Those living there did not have renters insurance, so the Red Cross has been called in to help.
The second fire happened at around 11:30 p.m. in the 100 block of Yorkshire Drive in west Columbia.
Investigators think a cigarette was thrown into some mulch near the side of the house and caught fire.
No one was hurt and damage is estimated at around $1,000.