News

One person hurt after house fire in Benton-Stephens neighborhood

Blaze likely caused by space heater, officials say

COLUMBIA, Mo. - UPDATE 11/10 - 8:00 A.M.: Fire officials said two people were in the Ann Street apartment at the time of the fire, one of whom received minor burns while attempting to put the fire out.

The Columbia Fire Department Fire Marshal's Office investigation determined that the blaze started in a bedroom and wa most-likely caused by a portable space heater placed too close to combustibles.  

The damage caused by the fire is estimated to be $10,000.  

"The Columbia Fire Department would like to remind residents to keep at least three feet clearance from combustibles when using portable space heaters," said Battalion Chief Tim Bach.

ORIGINAL: The Columbia Fire Department responded to a fire in the Benton-Stephens Neighborhood Thursday night.

It happened around 10:25 p.m. in the 400 block of Ann Street at a six-unit apartment home.

The fire was contained to a single lower level unit. 

Capt. Brian Tilman with the Columbia Fire Department said he was told one person had minor burns, but was not treated. No one else was believed to be injured.

There was also some smoke damage.

 

 

 

 

 

 


comments powered by Disqus

ABC 17 News Stormtrack

  • Saturday November 18 Evening Weather

Top Videos