News

Columbia duplex damaged after fire breaks out in basement kitchen overnight

COLUMBIA, Mo - UPDATE 2: The cause of the fire, according to investigator Assistant Fire Marshal Mike Bauer was unattended cooking.  Damages are estimated at $1,500.

UPDATE 5:11 am: Firefighters tell ABC17 the residents who live on the top floor are able to go back inside. 

However, those who were living in the basement will have to wait a few days, for the living area to be cleaned out. 

The American Red Cross will be helping the family who was displaced. 

Firefighters have cleared the scene. 

ORIGINAL: Firefighters are working to ventilate a duplex in north Columbia right now after a fire broke out overnight.

Fire crews responded to the 2600 block of Quail Drive just after 3:00 Friday morning.

They say there was a working fire when they arrived that started in the kitchen area of the duplex's basement.

Firefighters tell our ABC 17 News crew on scene that the duplex is still intact and livable once it is cleaned out.

Right now firefighters are working to find out why the fire started.

There's no word yet on a damage estimate. No one was hurt in the fire.

Watch ABC 17 News This Morning for a live report from the scene with the latest developments from 5:00-7:00am.


comments powered by Disqus

ABC 17 News Stormtrack

  • Saturday, April 29 Evening Weather Video

Top Videos