COLUMBIA, Mo. - A Columbia man was killed in an early morning accident on Mexico Gravel Road.
Columbia police say a car driven by 25-year-old Rodolfo Rodriguez was traveling westbound near the 4200 block of Mexico Gravel Road when it left the roadway.
Police say the car hit a raised concrete drain, causing it to become airborne before hitting a dirt embankment and becoming airborne again. The car then hit a tree about 15-20 feet about ground level and landed in the grass.
Investigators say both Rodriguez and a passenger, 24-year-old Dante Jones, were ejected from the vehicle despite wearing seatbelts. Police say their seats were reclined too far for seatbelts to protect the driver and passenger.
Rodriguez was pronounced dead at the scene. Jones was transported to University Hospital with moderate injuries.
The crash is still under investigation.
- Four people injured in Montgomery County crash likely caused by weather
- Amid snowfall, crews respond to at least five crashes in less than an hour
- Man charged with possesion of child pornography to be sentenced Monday
- No injuries after Boone County fire; structure is "total loss"
- Pipe replacements to close roads in Callaway County
- Columbia City Council to consider implementing new traffic safety policy