COLUMBIA, Mo. - Launching fireworks is illegal within most major city limits across the area - including Columbia, Jefferson City and Osage Beach.
Columbia police said they're stepping up patrols this holiday week. Extra officers will be on duty to handle calls through Friday.
ABC 17 News tallied up nearly 20 fireworks calls just overnight Saturday.
CPD said in an earlier news release fireworks were responsible for 18,000 fires and $32 million in damage nationwide in 2011.
- Columbia Police Department raises money for mid-Missouri children's home
- Columbia city council approves public inconvenience fee
- Columbia City Council approves "public inconvenience fee"
- Governor-elect Eric Greitens' wife robbed at gunpoint
- Jefferson City council to vote on voluntary annexation
- Woman dies in crash near Midway
- Search for MU chancellor will take "several months," UM System Spokesman reveals cost