JEFFERSON CITY, Mo. - On Friday a committee made its final choice for the next Jefferson City fire chief. They picked Matt Schofield, who now serves as a captain.
Three people applied for the position, including the current interim chief, Jason Turner. The committee's recommendation goes to the city administrator, who says it could be months before he takes his own choice to the city council.
On Thursday afternoon, the finalists took questions from fire department staff and the public.
Interim Chief Jason Turner, Captain Matt Schofield, and Captain Jay Niemeyer sat before a crowd of about 25 people.
The three men focused on how they would improve the department, fill vacancies, and expand training programs.
- Suspect breaks into five parked cars at three different gyms
- Vehicle crash on Providence Road and I-70 exit ramp
- No one hurt in south Columbia apartment complex fire overnight
- Two dozen firefighters battle Boone County barn blaze
- Winter heat related fires
- Columbia Police Department hosts Coffee with a Cop
- Boil advisory issued for part of Osage County