COLUMBIA, Mo. - Columbia fire crews were still investigating what caused a fire in a home near Hickman High School on Sunday night.
Residents evacuated the house on Fourth Street around 7:30 p.m. Sunday.
According to a news release, a male resident heard his smoke alarm going off and saw smoke from the basement. He was stopped from opening to basement door by strong heat and smoke.
No one was hurt, but there is heavy smoke damage to much of the inside of the home. Damage estimates were not available Sunday night.
Fourth Street was closed for a couple of hour during the investigation.
- Updated Lawsuit filed to fight campaign contribution amendment
- MU students present designs for new airport terminal
- Stolen car flips during chase with authorities in Moberly
- Audit finds security flaws in state's payroll system
- Columbia Fire Department: Person and vehicle on fire, cause unknown
- First responders take extra precautions to save lives in cold weather
- Audit finds gaps in state payroll system security