CALLAWAY Co., Mo. - Crews were called back to the scene of a Mid-Missouri house fire on Monday, about 15 minutes east of Kingdom City. Flames started between 6:30 a.m. and 7 a.m. on Weiser Drive off Route Z, a few miles south of I-70. Firefighters returned just a few hours later.
The owner, Victor Weiser and his wife collect kerosene lanterns and had over 1,200 in the home at the time of the fire.
Weiser was woken up by the fire alarm early Monday morning and dragged his wife out of the home when she was unable to walk.
"The wife, I had to drag her out of the house because her legs went out from under her," said Weiser.
Both residents were not harmed in the fire, but one dog and one cat did die.
Units originally responded from the North and Central Callaway fire districts.
Fire officials believe the fire to be accidental.
- Updated No one hurt in south Columbia apartment complex fire overnight
- Two dozen firefighters battle Boone County barn blaze
- Winter heat related fires
- Columbia Police Department hosts Coffee with a Cop
- Boil advisory issued for part of Osage County
- Mizzou recommends third MMR vaccine for students amid mumps outbreak
- Columbia parking task force draws up possible changes