JEFFERSON CITY, Mo. - Deputies from the Cole County Sheriff's Department are investigating a homicide inside the Jefferson City Correctional Center Sunday afternoon. Inmates from a neighboring cell notified prison staff after hearing a violent disturbance around 5 p.m. in facilities 7 House.
One was man, Ryan A. Vaught, 23, was put in an isolated unit. Attempts to revive Daniel P. Skipper, 65, were unsuccessful.
Skipper had several wounds to his face and scalp and a piece of fabric wrapped around his neck. An autopsy is set for Tuesday, and the victim's family has been notified.
Vaught was serving time for armed criminal action and assaulting a law enforcement officer. Skipper was sentenced for statutory rape and sodomy.
- Updated COMOGives on This Week
- Updated New School of Music building approved for University of Missouri
- One charged, 4 more in custody for burglaries
- Boone County home total loss after fire on West Wolfe Road
- Colder temperatures can be dangerous for pets
- Sewer line smoke test scheduled for downtown Columbia
- Holts Summit man arrested for threatening family members