CAMDENTON, Mo. - A Mid-Missouri woman pleaded guilty to manslaughter and abuse charges for the 2008 death of a toddler.
37-year-old Roshell Dawn Johnson pleaded guilty Monday to voluntary manslaughter and child abuse charges for the death of 20-month-old Ocean McCoy. Prosecutors say Johnson accepted a plea agreement.
The Miller County Prosecuting Attorney says the infant girl suffered serious brain injuries from shaking, along with non-accidental head trauma stemming from a January 29, 2008 incident.
The injuries occurred while the girl was in the case of Johnson in the Brumley-area home shared by Johnson and the girl's father.
The toddler was transported to University Hospital in Columbia where she died the next day.
Following an investigation by several agencies, Johnson was arrested and charged within days of the toddler's death.
Final sentencing has been set for July 9 in Camden County. Johnson could receive 10 to 25 years in prison.
- Columbia man convicted of threatening witnesses, attorney
- Audit finds gaps in state payroll system security
- MU students present designs for new airport terminal
- Suspect breaks into five parked cars at three different gyms
- Vehicle crash on Providence Road and I-70 exit ramp
- No one hurt in south Columbia apartment complex fire overnight
- Two dozen firefighters battle Boone County barn blaze