COLUMBIA, Mo. - A Columbia man was arrested over the weekend for the unlawful use of a weapon, but no shots were fired.
25-year-old Jeramey Thompson was arrested Saturday afternoon in the 200 block of Oak Street with a loaded gun in his pocket. Court documents say the chamber was empty, but the magazine was loaded with six 9 millimeter rounds.
This is the same area where at least two other shootings have happened in the last two months.
Thompson is being held on a $50,000 cash only bond at the Boone County Jail.
Thompson has had prior felony arrests, but has never been convicted. Court documents show he has been convicted of two misdemeanor assaults in the past.
Prosecutors said they believe Thompson is a danger to the community because "Thompson was found in possession of a concealed firearm readily capable of lethal force. He was in an area of Columbia where numerous recent shooting incidents have occurred."
ABC 17 News reached out to Columbia police to ask if Thompson is a suspect in any of the recent shootings in the city, but calls had not been returned as of Monday night.
- Columbia Police Department raises money for mid-Missouri children's home
- Columbia city council approves public inconvenience fee
- Columbia City Council approves "public inconvenience fee"
- Updated Governor-elect Eric Greitens' wife robbed at gunpoint
- Jefferson City council to vote on voluntary annexation
- Woman dies in crash near Midway
- Search for MU chancellor will take "several months," UM System Spokesman reveals cost