COLUMBIA, Mo. - A Columbia man is behind bars and facing prostitution charges after an online investigation.
The Boone County Sheriff's Department Cyber Crimes Task Force said 32-year-old Kenyata D. Miles was arrested for suspicion of promoting prostitution, trafficking for the purpose of sexual exploitation, being a convicted felon in possession of a handgun and third-degree domestic assault.
Investigators said they received a tip about a prostitution advertisement on an online classifieds website in mid-April. The posting used photographs of a juvenile female.
Law enforcement officials said Miles allegedly transported women to and obtained motel rooms in Columbia and other Mid-Missouri cities for prostitution activity.
Investigators believe he also forced an adult female to engage in prostitution by violence and in one instance, allegedly pointed a handgun at a woman.
During a search of Miles' car on Tuesday, officers found a handgun. Miles is a convicted felon and should not have been in possession of a weapon.
Miles is being held on a $5,500 bail in the Boone County Jail. His bond for prostitution and sexual exploitation has not been set yet.
- Updated 75 years after WWII, mid-Missouri remembers
- Columbia woman arrested for forging prescriptions
- Updated UM System Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Task Force releases recommendations after audit
- Crews to reduce speed limit on major Columbia roadway Wednesday
- Columbia VFW shooting suspect sentenced to prison
- Winter weather: What you should have in your car
- Delta Upsilon suspends its Missouri chapter until 2018