Court documents detail vengeful murder of Tre'Veon Marshall

3 charged in connection with Tre'Veon Marshall murder

COLUMBIA, Mo. - ABC 17 News obtained court documents detailing the police investigation into the murder of a Columbia teenager.

Tre'Veon Marshall, 17, was gunned down July 14 in McKee Street Park in the northeast section of the city.

On Thursday, 18-year-old Joshua Dewayne Murray and 19-year-old Nicholas Raheem Thomas were charged with first-degree murder and armed criminal action for Marshall's murder.  Kimberly Huet-Linzie, 17, was charged with hindering the prosecution.

According to court documents, Murray told police he had known Marshall since middle school and that he and Thomas were friends with Bryan Rankin. Rankin was shot and killed on April 7, 2012 by Lamarr Mayfield. Thomas was allegedly a passenger in the car that Rankin was murdered in.

Rankin was killed after a fight on West Sugar Tree Lane. Mayfield was later arrested for the murder  and charged with second-degree murder and armed criminal action. He pleaded guilty last month and was sentenced to 17 years in prison.

Murray told police Marshall was "part of Mayfield's crew."

The documents state that Murray had an encounter with Marshall approximately one month before Marshall's murder and during that encounter, Marshall pulled up his shirt and displayed a handgun. The probable cause statement says Murray felt threatened by Marshall.

On the night of July 14 when Marshall was murdered, Murray told police that Huett-Linzie was driving him and Thomas around "looking for people they were 'beefing' with." Murray said they saw Marshall and a female walking on Rice Road then later at McKee Park.

"Murray said that on the date of the murder, he and Thomas were in a car together," said Boone County prosecutor Dan Knight. "They were driving around together. He knew Thomas was armed with a loaded revolver."

Murray said he and Thomas got out of the car with the intention to fight Marshall and instructed Huett-Linzie to stay in the vehicle. The pair entered the park and covered their faces with t-shirts.

When Murray and Thomas approached Marshall, Thomas shot Marshall in the back once, according to the probable cause statement. The document states Marshall fell to the ground and tried to yell "help" when Thomas fired four more shots at Marshall.

The probable cause statement says Murray and Thomas then fled from the scene and told Huet-Linzie to drive them to a mutual friend's home.

Columbia police say the female who was with Marshall at the time of his murder saw the two men in the park. She told investigators as she and Marshall were walking, Marshall told her to run. As she ran, she heard gunshots behind her, according to court documents.

The female was able to pick out Thomas when shown a photo of him.

Prosecutor Knight told ABC 17 News police and the prosecutor's office are still investigating the case.

"If we find out in this case, just like in any other case, that other people are involved criminally, they're going to be subject to being charged," Knight said.

comments powered by Disqus

ABC 17 News Stormtrack

  • Thursday, May 25 Evening Weather Video

Top Videos