COLUMBIA, Mo. - The former owner of Peppers Nightclub pleaded guilty in court Wednesday to a lesser charge than prosecutors originally considered.
Karon Rowe pleaded guilty to misdemeanor fraudulent use of an Electronic Benefit Transfer (EBT) card. She had been originally charged with felony unlawfully receiving food stamps.
Boone County assistant prosecutor Andi Hayes says Rowe was placed on probation for two years. As a condition of probation, Rowe cannot have a liquor license.
Authorities say the now-closed Peppers, located at 4515 North Highway 763, was a "hub of criminal activity." In recent years, a number of assaults, shooting and stabbings have been reported at the nightclub.
- Four people injured in Montgomery County crash likely caused by weather
- Amid snowfall, crews respond to at least five crashes in less than an hour
- Man charged with possesion of child pornography to be sentenced Monday
- No injuries after Boone County fire; structure is "total loss"
- Pipe replacements to close roads in Callaway County
- Columbia City Council to consider implementing new traffic safety policy