JEFFERSON CITY, Mo. - Authorities in Cole County are investigating a homicide Wednesday.
Sheriff Greg White told ABC 17 News the homicide happened inside the Jefferson City Correctional Center on Algoa Road late Tuesday night. JCCC is a state maximum security prison.
Officials say the homicide involved two male inmates, one of which is dead.
The inmate has been identified as 67-year-old Jose T. Benitez, according to the Department of Corrections.
Court records state Benitez was sentenced to 25 years in prison for first-degree statutory sodomy out of Jasper County. He has been in the Department of Corrections since March 2012.
They have not released the name of the suspect because charges have not been filed yet.
Authorities say the homicide happened sometime Tuesday afternoon and Benitez's body was found in a locked cell.
It's not clear how long the victim and suspect had shared the cell.
Officials say they collected 47 pieces of evidence at the scene.
An autopsy will be conducted in Columbia with results expected by the end of the week. Officials say no weapons or sharp objects were found in the cell.
Stay with ABC 17 News and abc17news.com for the latest on this developing story.
- Montgomery County crash likely weather related
- Amid snowfall, crews respond to at least five crashes in less than an hour
- Driving in snow and ice conditions
- Four people injured in Montgomery County crash likely caused by weather
- Man charged with possesion of child pornography to be sentenced Monday
- No injuries after Boone County fire; structure is "total loss"