JEFFERSON CITY, Mo. - ABC 17 News learned on Friday a Jefferson City business owner convicted of burning down his own store for the insurance money is getting a new trial.
Kurt Steidley owned Everharts Sporting Goods at 2436 Missouri Boulevard before it went up in flames on New Years Day in 2011.
Steidley was supposed to be sentenced last month for the fire. But on Thursday a judge issued a ruling agreeing with Steidley's lawyers, who argued prosecutors made a mistake for not disclosing his conversation with firefighters after it was used during his first trial.
Steidley is due back in court later this month.
- Update: Ripley Street scene clear after reported fire
- Proposed law would make violence against police a hate crime
- Updated UPDATE: Fatal crash near Midway
- Interim president announces search for permanent chancellor
- Man arrested for kidnapping and assaulting Columbia woman
- Repeat offender arrested
- Police arrest a man after he allegedly threatens a woman with a machete and taser