BOONE CO., Mo. - The Boone County Sheriff's Department confirmed a man, 47-year-old Jon Chalfant, died in an apparent shooting in the Prathersville area Wednesday night.
A 36-year-old woman thought to be the shooter fled the scene. She was found in the area of Highway 763. After she was questioned, she was released.
Boone County Sheriff's Deputies and Columbia Police were called to Wagon Trail Road Wednesday night for a shots fired incident.
ABC 17 arrived at the Gaslight Trailer Park to find the Boone County Fire Department leaving the scene, with several police still in the area. EMTs and an ambulance has already left the area.
The scene was unstable at around 7:10 p.m., and emergency scanner traffic reported a man with possible gunshot wounds. Dispatchers also said a man may have been choking a woman before shots were fired.
Thursday, investigators are working to learn how the shooter and the victim knew each other.
ABC 17 News confirmed the two were not brother and sister.
Stay with ABC 17 News for the latest on this developing story.
- Updated One charged, 4 more in custody for burglaries
- Updated Boone County home total loss after fire on West Wolfe Road
- Colder temperatures can be dangerous for pets
- Sewer line smoke test scheduled for downtown Columbia
- Updated Holts Summit man arrested for threatening family members
- Prosecutor files charge against former MU wide receiver
- Updated One suspect charged in multi-county burglary bust