KEYTESVILLE, Mo. - A Mexico lawyer was sentenced to two-and-a-half years in prison Thursday for a hit-and-run accident that left a man dead nearly three years ago.
James A. Clampitt received the sentence today after his lawyer asked the judge to dismiss his January conviction.
Clampitt was driving his car on Jefferson Street in Mexico on a June night in 2010 when he struck Richard Cobb who was driving a lawn mower. Cobb later died at the hospital.
A family member read a statement from Cobb's mother today talking about the sense of loss she felt. The same family member told ABC 17 Clampitt's prison sentence should have been longer.
The case was moved to Chariton County on a venue change. The judge's sentence went along with the jury's recommendation.
- Suspect breaks into five parked cars at three different gyms
- Vehicle crash on Providence Road and I-70 exit ramp
- No one hurt in south Columbia apartment complex fire overnight
- Two dozen firefighters battle Boone County barn blaze
- Winter heat related fires
- Columbia Police Department hosts Coffee with a Cop
- Boil advisory issued for part of Osage County