MONTGOMERY CITY, Mo. - A teenager accused of kidnapping and sending schools into lockdown in January appeared in court Wednesday.
18-year-old Robert Dean Bethel is charged with kidnapping, armed criminal action and violating a protection order.
Bethel was arraigned in Montgomery County Circuit Court and pleaded not guilty to the charges. His next court appearance is set for May 1.
Montgomery City Police Chief Philip Ahern told ABC 17 News that Bethel remains in the Montgomery County Jail.
Bethel allegedly forced his 15-year-old girlfriend into his truck at gunpoint and also made threats that put schools in Montgomery and Callaway counties on lockdown. The girl was later found unharmed.
- Updated One suspect charged in multi-county burglary bust
- Injury crash shuts down westbound Highway 50
- Updated Holts Summit man arrested for threatening family members
- Updated Prosecutor files charge against former MU wide receiver
- Updated Boone County crews battle house fire on West Wolfe Road
- Lack of school resource officers in Boone County
- MU football hires defensive line coach