JEFFERSON CITY, Mo. - Cole County officials have dismissed a murder charge against a man accused of a 2011 deadly shooting.
Prosecutor Mark Richardson confirmed to ABC 17 News he is dismissing the murder charge against Jose Hurtado.
Richardson said there is a "witness issue" in the case and that he will determine later if the charge will be re-filed.
Cole County Sheriff Greg White confirmed Hurtado will be released from jail Tuesday afternoon.
Hurtado was accused of killing Francisco Navarro at Apache Manor, a Jefferson City trailer park, in late 2011.
Investigators think Navarro was shot after trying to break up a fight over a loud muffler.
A second man, Rafel Fuentes, was also picked up for the crime, but his charges were dropped last year.
- Columbia Police Department raises money for mid-Missouri children's home
- Columbia city council approves public inconvenience fee
- Columbia City Council approves "public inconvenience fee"
- Governor-elect Eric Greitens' wife robbed at gunpoint
- Jefferson City council to vote on voluntary annexation
- Woman dies in crash near Midway
- Search for MU chancellor will take "several months," UM System Spokesman reveals cost