OSAGE COUNTY, Mo. - The Missouri State Highway Patrol is conducting a preliminary investigation into allegations against Osage County Sheriff Michael Dixon.
Sheriff Dixon is accused of harassing a Maries County woman. Courtney Duncan Mahaney claims Dixon stalked and harassed her.
Dixon appeared in court Wednesday for the case, but sources close to the sheriff say the allegations are false and unfounded. The sheriff will also continue to go about his duties in Osage County.
Maries County Sheriff Chris Heitman says his office received the complaint from the Belle Police Department last week.
Heitman investigated the complaint then turned it over to the Highway Patrol Wednesday.
Highway Patrol Sgt. Paul Reinsch told ABC 17 News that the Maries County Sheriff asked the patrol to begin the investigation.
Reinsch says once the patrol completes a preliminary investigation, they will determine if a full investigation is warranted. There is no word on when the investigation will be completed.
Sheriff Dixon was formerly the police chief in Belle.
- Columbia man convicted of threatening witnesses, attorney
- Audit finds gaps in state payroll system security
- MU students present designs for new airport terminal
- Updated Car windows smashed in break-in spree
- Vehicle crash on Providence Road and I-70 exit ramp
- No one hurt in south Columbia apartment complex fire overnight
- Two dozen firefighters battle Boone County barn blaze