COLUMBIA, Mo. - Columbia police say social media is a game changer in solving crimes nowadays.
For example, the video one man took of the downtown Columbia shooting last month not only prompted witnesses to come forward, it helped catch a suspect.
Capt. Jill Schlude says the Columbia Police Department uses social media to prevent crimes, solve crimes, and give criminal and traffic alerts.
She says CPD hopes to get a smartphone app that allows witnesses to send their videos and pictures anonymously to aid police in their investigation.
CPD also hopes to hire a person to handle their social media accounts and make sure every alert is immediately sent out to the public to keep them safe.
- Update: Ripley Street scene clear after reported fire
- Proposed law would make violence against police a hate crime
- Updated UPDATE: Fatal crash near Midway
- Interim president announces search for permanent chancellor
- Man arrested for kidnapping and assaulting Columbia woman
- Repeat offender arrested
- Police arrest a man after he allegedly threatens a woman with a machete and taser