COLUMBIA, Mo. - A suspected car thief landed behind bars Thursday night after allegedly assaulting a Columbia officer and escaping on foot.
James Broderick was first arrested after 9 p.m. Thursday. The victim claims Broderick stole his van outside the Phillips 66 gas station near the Lake of the Woods exit. But just a few hours later, the man saw his own vehicle again near Broadway and Old Highway 63.
Police found Broderick and took him into custody, but he managed to slip out of his handcuffs. He was eventually located downtown by Ash and Orr streets.
Broderick is also on parole, also for stealing cars.
- No one hurt in south Columbia apartment complex fire overnight
- Two dozen firefighters battle Boone County barn blaze
- Winter heat related fires
- Columbia Police Department hosts Coffee with a Cop
- Boil advisory issued for part of Osage County
- Mizzou recommends third MMR vaccine for students amid mumps outbreak
- Updated Columbia parking task force draws up possible changes