JEFFERSON CITY, Mo. - A 19-year-old Jefferson City suspect is accused of robbing a man using a toy gun after the victim just cashed a lottery ticket.
Police say Demarcus Ranson followed the victim after he left a gas station around noon on Thursday in the 600 block of Washington Street. Ranson allegedly grabbed the man by his shirt and started punching him in the face.
Officers say Ranson then lifted his shirt, revealing what appeared to be a gun. The victim says he handed over $15 in cash before Ranson fled on foot.
Investigators used a K-9 unit and traced the suspect to the 700 block of Adams, where they also found a plastic gun.
Ranson was taken into custody for first-degree robbery.
- Updated Boil advisory issued for part of Osage County
- Mizzou recommends third MMR vaccine for students amid mumps outbreak
- Columbia parking task force draws up possible changes
- Fire district advises residents of ways to avoid a home fire this winter
- Columbia woman arrested for forging prescriptions
- Updated Columbia man to federal prison for sex trafficking
- Updated Jefferson City police awarded DWI vehicle to step up enforcement