MONTGOMERY CITY, Mo. - A Mid-Missouri teen was sentenced to five years in prison on Tuesday after kidnapping and threatening to kill a 15 year-old girl in early 2013.
Robert Bethel, 19, was already convicted of the crimes in April. Authorities say Bethel forced the girl into a truck in January 2013 near West Seventh and North Walker streets in Montgomery City. The incident also put several schools on lockdown.
According to court documents, Bethel repeatedly threatened to kill the girl. At some point in the night, the girl tried to get the gun from Bethel. It discharged a bullet into the dashboard of the truck.
During Bethel's trial, his parents testified he was suffering from depression and having suicidal thoughts.
Bethel also took the stand and said, "the gun was intended for me, not her."
- Updated One suspect charged in multi-county burglary bust
- Injury crash shuts down westbound Highway 50
- Updated Holts Summit man arrested for threatening family members
- Updated Prosecutor files charge against former MU wide receiver
- Updated Boone County crews battle house fire on West Wolfe Road
- Lack of school resource officers in Boone County
- MU football hires defensive line coach