MONTGOMERY CITY, Mo. - The trial of an accused Montgomery City kidnapper has been delayed until September.
The jury trial of Robert D. Bethel, 19, was scheduled to begin Monday morning in Montgomery County Circuit Court. The trial has been pushed back until Thursday, Sept. 5.
Bethel is charged with kidnapping, armed criminal action and two counts of violating a protection order.
In January, Bethel allegedly abducted his 15-year-old girlfriend and forced her into his truck at gunpoint. He also made several threats that put schools in Montgomery and Callaway counties on lockdown.
According to court documents, the girl tried to get the revolver away from Bethel and that during the scuffle over the gun, "the gun discharged putting a bullet into the dashboard of the truck."
The girl was later found unharmed, but told authorities Bethel pointed the gun at her face and said he would kill her and himself.
- No injuries after Boone County fire; structure is "total loss"
- Car flips in Columbia crash, driver arrested
- Stephen Webber elected state Democratic Party chairman
- Missouri meth lab seizures down sharply in 2016
- Driver flown to hospital after rollover crash in Camden County
- Columbia City Council to consider implementing new traffic safety policy