COLUMBIA, Mo. - Two people were arrested early Tuesday for illegally possessing a handgun.
Columbia police say an officer noticed a car traveling at a high rate of speed on Texas Avenue near Providence Road around 12:50 a.m. Tuesday.
The officer was unable to stop the vehicle due to a robbery call, but caught up to it near Vandriver Drive and Parker Street.
Inside the car, the officer found marijuana and a loaded gun hidden under the passenger seat.
The driver, Kalil Brown, 18, of Kansas City and Sierra Smith, 25, of Columbia were arrested for unlawfully possessing a concealed weapon.
Their bonds are set at $4,500 each. Brown and Smith remain in the Boone County Jail as of Tuesday afternoon.
Last year, Smith pleaded guilty to planning a shooting in September. Law enforcement officials say she planned an assault in which 27-year-old Christopher D. Brown shot at three people.
- Columbia man convicted of threatening witnesses, attorney
- Audit finds gaps in state payroll system security
- MU students present designs for new airport terminal
- Updated Car windows smashed in break-in spree
- Vehicle crash on Providence Road and I-70 exit ramp
- No one hurt in south Columbia apartment complex fire overnight
- Two dozen firefighters battle Boone County barn blaze