UPDATE: Jefferson City man charged after shootout with SWAT team

JCPD makes arrest while serving search warrant

UPDATE Jefferson City man charged...

JEFFERSON CITY, Mo. - UPDATE 9/14: According to an official press release, Cheatham was charged with one count of possessing marijuana with the intent to distribute, one count of discharging a firearm during and in relation to a drug-trafficking crime and one count of assaulting a federal law enforcement task force officer on Thursday.

These charges are in addition to the charges of being a felon in possession of a firearm and ammunition.

UPDATE: Ardaris Webb Cheatham, of Jefferson City, is now charged in federal court with the illegal possession of a firearm after he was accused of shooting at officers as they served a search warrant at his home.

That's according to Tom Larson, who is an acting U.S. attorney for Missouri's Western District.

In the house, officers reportedly found 27 pounds of marijuana hidden in various locations. A pipe with methamphetamine residue was also located in a bedroom, according to police.

Investigators were later told by a witness that she'd bought the gun Cheatham used two years ago. According to her, he had fired it in the past, and sometimes handled it while at home.

Since Cheatham has a prior felony conviction for possession of a controlled substance, it is illegal for him to be in possession of a gun.

Cheatham made his first court appearance Tuesday morning, and he remains in federal custody.

This case was investigated by Jefferson City police, and the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.

ORIGINAL: The Jefferson City Police Department's SWAT team was sent to a house in the 1000 block of Poplar Street Monday afternoon.

The team was in the process of conducting a "high-risk, narcotics-related search" for the MUSTANG Drug Task Force when it was confronted by a suspect, police said.

JCPD would not release the name of the suspect as of 8 a.m. Tuesday.

Police say the suspect shot and missed the officers and then fled into the basement of the house dropping his gun in the process.

When the suspect tried to escape out the back door of the house, he was caught by SWAT team members who had formed a perimeter.

No injuries occurred during the arrest.

JCPD detectives are still investigating, and the suspect was released to the Cole County Jail to await federal weapon and drug charges.

comments powered by Disqus

ABC 17 News Stormtrack

  • February 24 Morning Weather

Top Videos