Dozens of people are out of a job after Fired Up! BBQ restaurant catches fire

Equipment malfunction is blamed for the fire

Fire destroys Lake Ozark restaurant

LAKE OZARK, Mo. - Dozens of people are out of a job after Fired Up! BBQ restaurant caught fire early Monday morning.

Officials say an equipment malfunction is to blame for the fire that destroyed the building just after 4am.

Fire officials say it was a difficult fire to put out because the building was rather old.

They also say the building had been remolded several times, and had add-ons that made it difficult for the firefighters to maneuver throughout the building.

Firefighters say all those add-ons and remodels made them switch tactics while fighting the fire.

"We began an aggressive offensive attack inside the building, however, conditions put us on the defensive. We remained defensive for a while, we knocked the wall down. We went back in and took care of the remaining hot spots," said Lake Ozark Fire Chief- Mark Amsinger.

While the Fire Department was able to put out the fire and salvage some of it's contents, the building is said to be a total loss.

Kitchen manger Billie Jean Curtis spent the day at the site helping with cleanup.

She says she doesn't think she'll ever find another joy she enjoyed as much as this one.

"It's devastating. Honestly, I loved working here ,and I don't want to find another job, but I'm probably going to have to at least for the time being," said Curtis.

Waiter Lane Jones also showed up to help with cleanup and says he will be back as soon as the owners rebuild it.

"If they get the insurance and build a whole new one, I'll drop where ever I'm working and come work for them," said Jones.

comments powered by Disqus

ABC 17 News Stormtrack

  • Wednesday, May 24 Evening Weather Video

Top Videos