BOONE CO., Mo. - The driver of a Ford Explorer, 67-year-old Lawrence Ferguson of Auxvasse, was killed at the scene of a head-on crash with a school bus in Boone County.
The crash happened in the 5400 block of Route Z near Judy School Road. ABC 17 News has confirmed the bus was coming from Two Mile Prairie School when the Explorer crossed the center line and hit the bus head-on.
Multiple agencies responded to the crash Thursday afternoon around 3:00 p.m.
Dispatchers said the accident involved extrication.
The Boone Co. Fire Department told ABC 17 News there were 22 children ranging from kindergarten to fifth grade on the bus. Three children and the bus driver had moderate injuries. They were taken to MU Women and Children's Hospital in Columbia.
Columbia Public Schools spokeswoman Michelle Baumstark told ABC 17 News the 19 remaining students were initially taken back to Two Mile Prairie to be reunited with parents, and then to the hospital for evaluation as a precautionary measure.
"The children that have been brought home, they are fine, they're probably a little shook up, that's a pretty traumatic event when you're 7 years old or 6, so just explain to them that accidents happen," said Martina Pounds with the Boone Co. Emergency Management Agency.
Stay with ABC 17 News for the latest on this developing story.
- Four people injured in Montgomery County crash likely caused by weather
- Amid snowfall, crews respond to at least five crashes in less than an hour
- Man charged with possesion of child pornography to be sentenced Monday
- No injuries after Boone County fire; structure is "total loss"
- Pipe replacements to close roads in Callaway County
- Columbia City Council to consider implementing new traffic safety policy