COLUMBIA, Mo. - A new elementary school will be built at the intersection of Scott Boulevard and Route KK, Columbia Public Schools announced Thursday.
The district says it reached a deal with the Sapp family to purchase the site for $2.8 million. The funds will come from a 2012 voter-approved bond issue.
The 36-acre site is on the northwest corner of Scott Blvd. and Route KK.
School leaders say they chose the location following an extensive search and took into account several factors, including the location of major roads, level of site development and utility infrastructure.
The elementary school is projected to open in 2016.
CPS is about to break ground on another elementary school, scheduled to open in 2015. That school is located next to Battle High School in northeast Columbia.
- Updated One suspect charged in multi-county burglary bust
- Injury crash shuts down westbound Highway 50
- Updated Holts Summit man arrested for threatening family members
- Updated Prosecutor files charge against former MU wide receiver
- Updated Boone County crews battle house fire on West Wolfe Road
- Lack of school resource officers in Boone County
- MU football hires defensive line coach