COLUMBIA, Mo. (AP) - A cancer center in Columbia has teamed up with one of the best cancer centers in the nation.
On Friday officials at the University of Missouri announced Ellis Fischel Cancer Center will become affiliated with the MD Anderson Cancer Network. The network is a program at MD Anderson Cancer Center based at the University of Texas in Houston.
MU Health Care CEO Mitch Wasden says the two centers share a common goal of eliminating cancer and called the network a "national leader in cancer care." Ellis Fischel's medical director added that the move would benefit patients with rare forms of cancer.
Last year, Ellis Fischel moved into a new $50 million facility at University Hospital. The affiliation was approved by the university board at a January meeting.
MD Anderson has been ranked as the best cancer center according to an annual survey done by U.S. News and World Report.
- Updated Boil advisory issued for part of Osage County
- Mizzou recommends third MMR vaccine for students amid mumps outbreak
- Columbia parking task force draws up possible changes
- Fire district advises residents of ways to avoid a home fire this winter
- Columbia woman arrested for forging prescriptions
- Updated Columbia man to federal prison for sex trafficking
- Updated Jefferson City police awarded DWI vehicle to step up enforcement