News

Fire officials warn about fire safety during the holidays

Sturgeon fire estimated damage $100,000

Fire officials warn about fire safety...

BOONE COUNTY, Mo. - Boone County Fire and Columbia fire officials are warning people to avoid unattended cooking and turning off candles when lighting them.

Columbia's assistant fire chief, Brad Frazier, tells residents one of the most common reason why fire's start has a lot to do with unattended cooking and candles.

"When you're cooking, make sure you keep any clothing that might be loose away from open flames. Of course don't leave it unattended. Then with candles, just make sure someone is there when candles are lit. Blow them out when you leave," Frazier said. 

The house fire in Sturgeon started in a home office, and officials told ABC 17 News the damage has an estimated cost of $100,000. 

The woman was not home at the time of the fire. 


comments powered by Disqus

ABC 17 News Stormtrack

  • Friday January 19 Evening Weather Video

Top Videos