COLUMBIA, Mo. - The condition of former Columbia City Councilwoman Almeta Crayton has worsened.
Crayton is in a coma at Boone Hospital Center, suffering from heart and kidney problems.
Friday morning, hospital officials said she had been downgraded to critical condition. Family friends said Clayton remains in a coma.
Crayton is known throughout Mid-Missouri for her numerous community outreach events, including Everyone Eats, her annual Thanksgiving feast.
In July, community and church members volunteered to renovate Crayton's home, giving her and her family new flooring, a new porch and other housewares for free.
She represented the First Ward for nine years after first being elected in 1999.
- Updated New School of Music building approved for University of Missouri
- Updated One charged, 4 more in custody for burglaries
- Updated Boone County home total loss after fire on West Wolfe Road
- Colder temperatures can be dangerous for pets
- Sewer line smoke test scheduled for downtown Columbia
- Updated Holts Summit man arrested for threatening family members
- Prosecutor files charge against former MU wide receiver