COLUMBIA, Mo. - A gas line break in Columbia has forced the evacuation of a Stephens College residence hall.
The Columbia Fire Department says a contractor installing fiber optic line hit the gas pipe around 11:25 a.m. Tuesday. Firefighters responded the scene and Ameren crews shut off the gas by 12:45 p.m.
The gas leak was fixed promptly, but fire crews stayed on the scene for nearly three hours to ventilate Columbia Hall at Stephens College.
Less than 12 residents were evacuated as a precaution and the college is moving those residents to the visitor's center for the night.
- Updated New School of Music building approved for University of Missouri
- Updated One charged, 4 more in custody for burglaries
- Updated Boone County home total loss after fire on West Wolfe Road
- Colder temperatures can be dangerous for pets
- Sewer line smoke test scheduled for downtown Columbia
- Updated Holts Summit man arrested for threatening family members
- Prosecutor files charge against former MU wide receiver