COLUMBIA, Mo. - The Columbia Fire Department confirms there was a small chemical reaction in the 1500 block of Windsor street.
According to CFD, members of Columbia's Solid Waste Department found a trash bag with light smoke coming from it.
The hazardous materials truck (hazmat) was requested for the call.
Crews found the trash bag with light, white smoke coming from it. Firefighters used specialized protective gear and determined the smoke was caused by a mixing of two household chemicals. A toilet bowl cleaner and another household cleaner had spilled from their containers and mixed in the bottom of the bag.
Crews applied an absorbing, neutralizing agent to the liquid and safely disposed of it.
Five units from the Columbia Fire Department responded to this call. There were no reported injuries.
Columbia residents can drop off hazardous materials at the collection center every first and third Saturday of the month from 8 a.m. to noon.