ABC 17 News confirmed with the Boone County Fire Protection District that a house fire on Hudson Avenue in Hallsville was caused by a lightning strike to the roof.
The fire happened at around 4:00 Friday morning. There were three people in the home at the time of the fire, but no one was injured.
The fire was contained in the attic of the home with an estimated $70,000 in damages.
ABC17 News spoke with the family who said they were in the home while the fire burned and smoldered in the attic. The couple said they woke up to a loud boom, but assumed it was the transformer giving out.
There was one other person in the home who discovered the fire around 7:00 a.m.
No one was hurt and the family hopes to be able to move back into the home once it has been repaired.