JEFFERSON CITY, Mo. - An inmate at the Jefferson City Correctional Center has died following an assault on August 19.
The victim, 35-year-old Mark Melton, was assaulted by his 33-year-old cellmate.
Melton was severely beaten and taken to University following the assault, but died from his injuries on Sunday the 24th.
Melton was serving a sentence for first degree attempted sodomy and the suspect was serving a sentence for 2nd degree murder and armed criminal action.
An autopsy was done on Melton Monday, but results are not expected for weeks.
The case has been reclassified as a homicide, and and the investigation is ongoing.
- Columbia Police Department raises money for mid-Missouri children's home
- Columbia city council approves public inconvenience fee
- Columbia City Council approves "public inconvenience fee"
- Governor-elect Eric Greitens' wife robbed at gunpoint
- Jefferson City council to vote on voluntary annexation
- Woman dies in crash near Midway
- Search for MU chancellor will take "several months," UM System Spokesman reveals cost