News

Jefferson City firefighters blame unattended candle for structure fire

Resident: candle was lit for Kwanzaa

Candle starts Jefferson City fire

JEFFERSON CITY, Mo. - The Jefferson City Fire Department responded to a structure fire in the 300 block of Case Avenue on Wednesday afternoon. 

Firefighters said when they arrived on scene they saw flames showing from a second story window of a two-story residence. They were able to extinguish the fire quickly and keep the fire to a room on the second floor. 

One adult and two children were inside the house at the time of the fire but no one was injured, according to firefighters. They said the cause of the flame was a candle left unattended. 

ABC 17 News spoke with a woman who lives in the home Wednesday evening. She said she had lit the candle for Kwanzaa and it got too close to a blanket. The festival began on Tuesday and runs through Jan. 1.

Officials warn residents to be mindful of their lit candles and to never leave them unattended. 

The Red Cross was contacted to assist the family.

The estimated cost of the damages has not been released at this time.

 


comments powered by Disqus

ABC 17 News Stormtrack

  • Friday February 23 Morning Weather Video

Top Videos